Wednesday, March 14, 2012

La Martinique

Last Thursday I arrived with an early flight from Guadeloupe in Fort-de-France, Martinique. It was clear and flying over Dominica and the Caribbean sea made me dream of traveling. Since I arrived in Guadeloupe 2,5 weeks ago, time has flown. I've been working a lot, so I'm always very tired in the evenings. We get up early and go to bed early, that's how people live here, similar to Tanzania. We see most of the patients in the morning but there's always plenty of work to keep me busy all day. The patients are very friendly. I feel insecure about my bad French, but when I explain the people where I come from they are often really interested and pleased that I want to live in their country. I should say on their island, because it's France here and there's a big difference between Martinique (and Guadeloupe) and France. 
I've been looking for a house and transport, which here means a car the first days. I've soon found a room in a shared house and a car from the same girl, very convenient. Both will be available end of this month. For now I'm staying with family of my bosses in le Robert. It's an hour driving to Fort-de-France and the house is a beautiful villa on a hill with a great sea view. It feels weird to be in this kind of environment after a year in Tanzania. It's also unnatural having to use a car to get somewhere. But cycling is suicide, people drive like crazy and you'd have to go on the highways. Public transport is very limited, only during daytime and not reliable, a problem if you work in a very punctual western environment. Last Saturday I went to a beautiful beach with the girl I'll rent the room from and her friends. Cap Macré is quite 'sauvage' and the water is clear blue and warm, so I swam for hours. This weekend I will have my first surfing class, exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment